Breaking

Friday 28 November 2014

Nexus 5 Android 5.0 Lollipop Review:

Earlier this month, Google started rolling out the Android 5.0 Lollipop update to its stable of Nexus smartphones and tablets including last year’s flagship, Nexus 5. After spending a solid week with the Nexus 5 Android 5.0 Lollipop update, we want to take an in depth look at the software and answer a question that’s on the minds of many Nexus 5 users: Is Android 5.0 Lollipop worth installing?

Last month, Google finally announced several new products including a Nexus 6 smartphone from Motorola, a Nexus 9 tablet from HTC, and an Android 5.0 Lollipop update for the Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, and Nexus 5. Google did not outline a specific release date for the Nexus Android 5.0 Lollipop roll outs, leaving those announcements for a different date.

That date arrived earlier this month when the company began pushing out Android 5.0 Lollipop updates to the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Wi-Fi only, and the Nexus 10. A little later on, the company delivered the Nexus 4 Android 5.0 Lollipop update to owners of the aging former flagship.

A week ago, I installed the Android 5.0 Lollipop update on my Nexus 5 for the first time. I’ve been a Nexus 5 user since day one and I, like many of you, was excited to receive the first major update for a device that I consider one of the best smartphones ever made. I couldn’t wait to move from Android 4.4 KitKat to Android 5.0 Lollipop.

After spending a week with the Nexus 5 Android 5.0 Lollipop update, I want to offer some feedback on my experience. I have several goals. The first is to spark a discussion. I’d love to hear about your own experiences and how the update is treating you. That will not only help me, it will help those who might still be on the fence about installing.

I also want to help you answer this question: Is the Nexus 5 Android 5.0 Lollipop update worth installing? It’s a question that I’ve gotten several times in the past few days and while I may not be able to answer it for all of you, I hopefully can answer it for most of you.

Nexus 5 Android 5.0 Lollipop Review

For a week now, I’ve spent a ton of time with the official, public version of the Nexus 5 Android 50 Lollipop update. Before getting into this detailed review and my impressions, I should note that mileage is going to vary from device to device, person to person. That is to say, I probably don’t have the same apps installed and there’s a chance that I use Google Chrome, play more games, and use my home screen more than you do. So, consider this a general guide as you try to decide whether Lollipop is worth installing on your Nexus 5.

Apps

I use a number of applications on my Nexus 5. I typically use the Nexus 5 when I need to use Google’s services because the applications are just so much better on Android. For example, the Gmail experience on iPhone doesn’t even come close to the Gmail experience on a Nexus device. So if I’m using Gmail or Maps or any other app, I use my Nexus 5.

I point that out because apps are essential to my Nexus 5 experience and they’re probably essential to yours. And often times, major updates like Android 5.0 Lollipop can break stock and third-party applications. I’ve heard about some app issues with Android 5.0 Lollipop already, not surprising given that I always hear about app troubles after these roll outs.

So far, my experience with Android 5.0 Lollipop on board has been good. This might actually be the first time I’ve ever uttered those words after a major Android update. In the past, apps have wrecked havoc on my Nexus devices after major Android updates. So, it seems Google, developers, or both are improving.
Chrome’s crashed a few times in the week since installing Android 5.0 Lollipop and I’ve seen a little bit of sluggishness with the official Twitter application but I simply haven’t run into the same kinds of issues that I ran into on Android 4.4. Even Facebook and Netflix, two extremely frustrating applications, are working fine on Android 5.0.

While I don’t have a way of ensuring that your apps behave after installing Android 5.0 Lollipop but I can offer some advice. If you are on Android 5.0 Lollipop already or if you’re thinking about heading there, keep those applications updated. I’ve installed a ton of updates over the past week or so and bug fixes and compatibility updates have ensured a smooth transition for my stable of applications.
If nothing works, reach out to the developer and let them know about your struggles. Developers will often listen to consumer feedback and incorporate fixes into future updates.

Android 5.0 Lollipop Battery Life

As I’ve noted many times, the Nexus 5’s battery life was sub par with Android 4.4 KitKat on board. It’s a big reason why I opted to carry around the iPhone as my daily driver for the past year. I was simply not able to pull down the same kind of battery life that I was getting from my iPhone 5. Kind of sad given that the iPhone 5 is a year older than the Nexus 5.

With Android 5.0 Lollipop on board, I haven’t noticed any abnormal battery drain, slow charging problems, or issues in standby. The device holds a charge very well. After using the device for a week, I can’t say that I’ve noticed a huge increase in battery life but what I will say is that it doesn’t seem to be draining as fast as it was with Android 4.4 KitKat on board. Even if it’s a small uptick, it’s still an uptick and that’s a good thing after a massive update like Android 5.0.

Wi-Fi, LTE & Bluetooth

I’ve been hearing about issues with Wi-Fi, LTE, and Bluetooth but thus far, I haven’t experienced any of them. Wi-Fi is working fine on my Nexus 5. I’m able to connect to all types of networks and get fast download and upload speeds. AT&T’s LTE network is working out well, so far, and I haven’t run into any connection problems. Even Bluetooth, a feature that’s been problematic on my Nexus 5, is very stable.

This all comes as a bit of a surprise because these are usually the first features to break after a major Android update. The fact that they remain steady with Android 5.0 Lollipop on board is impressive. Those of you that are dealing with issues and those that simply want to learn more about them before installing are encouraged to head to Google’s Nexus Help Forum for more information and potential fixes.

Bugs & Issues

Android 5.0 Lollipop is full of bugs. That’s pretty apparent. However, many of those bugs are isolated to specific devices or specific users. And that could explain why my Android 5.0 Lollipop experience over the last week has been relatively bug free. The only issue I’ve run into is an inability to send SMS messages. The issue is sporadic and it’s only happened a handful of times since getting the update on board. Other than that, I haven’t seen any bugs jump out at me.

Now, it’s important to note that just because I haven’t spotted any major issues with my software, doesn’t mean that bugs aren’t lurking on board. I’ve done my best to poke around but I simply haven’t run into any debilitating bugs. At least not yet. Often times, and this happened on my Nexus 7 2012 after Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, bugs emerge in the days and weeks after an update’s arrival. So while I’m in the clear at the moment, there’s a good chance I spot something in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Great information

    Videocon Telecomregisters an impressive 41% growth in Net Revenue & 42% improvement in EBITDA in Q2 2015-16 over same quarter last financial year.

    ReplyDelete